Kai: “Mama… can I say a bad word out loud, right now?”
Yes.. ok.
“Stuppppppid. Seizures are stupid. I hate them. I wish they
never happened.”
He’s right. & I hate them too. How can I help him, help
Kaitlyn, help at all? I feel like I’m running low on answers. This balance of
being okay with where we are at, while moving forward, advocating, caring,
loving, living.. it’s not an easy one.
Seeing Kaitlyn awake makes every rough moment disappear temporarily. Listening to
her sweet voice, seeing her art, watching her re-learn written words, and sound
books out on her own again- it’s the most inspiring experience. I’m lucky enough to
see this every day. Except this is all so painfully, completely unfair. She’s
absolutely the strongest soul I know, & yet she seems so fragile too. We are affected by what seizures and their
aftermath have created, done, left and do still. We don’t let that guide our
lives completely, yet we are all affected, every single day. I don’t want to
apologize for how this has shaped me because if I really think about it, being
affected by this is part of what keeps me fighting for Kaitlyn. The worry I
constantly feel is painful, but it drives me to keep moving forward for her. I
don’t always appreciate being affected. The way my eyes well up with tears if someone
says hello at the wrong moment when I’m feeling the most isolated; it’s
embarrassing and some days I want to have a normal reaction that makes me blend
in. Sometimes I wish I had a filter for
the things I hear myself say out loud. This mix of daily chaos I run around is
at least partly to blame for my inability to just be normal. I don’t have this
balance yet, but while I recognize that being affected is a positive thing, I
also crave the experience of feeling like I belong just like everyone else. I
don’t want to be thought of as sad, lost, or broken. More than that, I don’t want to feel sad, lost
or broken.
Kai had a school play a few months ago. It
was so important for us to go. Kaitlyn was having a rough seizure clustered
day, but we were determined to be there. As the seizures continued, Kai’s eyes got bigger and he kept asking me,
“are you sure this is a good idea? That was a big one, Mama.” Yes… we’re here,
Kai. It’s okay. It must be confusing to keep hearing that this is okay, when it
clearly isn’t okay. I don’t see the parents of Kai’s class very often because
I’m usually wrapped up in all of this. I’ve missed so much of his year and I
started feeling bad about that too. A few of the moms came up to me
and asked how Kaitlyn was doing. That was the one thing I couldn’t answer
because it felt too raw that day. I couldn’t lie and pretend it was fine, but I
didn’t want to admit how hard this is either. I’d be a terrible poker player. I
cried instead of answered which opened the wimpy side of me, melting away. And
while I felt defeated, I learned again how much people care-and that’s an
incredibly great thing. I didn’t remember my camera, I didn’t video tape any of
it. But we were there. I saw the moment Kai looked around for us while he was
up on stage. He gets this smile that shows up in his eyes, his dimple shows and
the corner of his mouth smiles even though he’s trying hard not to show it. I
love that smile. I love all his smiles, but the I-see-my-mom-and-I’m-in front-
of –a-lot-of-people smile is one of my favorites. He was an adorable moon. He
looked so grown up yet so tiny all at once. After the play, he loaded up on
cookies, we said good-bye to his friends and their parents, and back to the
parking lot we went. Our sweet Kaitlyn’s unrelenting seizures came back. It
always feels unfair, but that night it felt even more unfair than ever. I ended
up checking in with her doctor again on what to do- gave Kaitlyn emergency
medicine, and the seizures stopped. And even in all of that, we made it.
Kaitlyn’s seizures stopped, Kai was so happy that night; and those things
mattered more than anything. Not all days are bad, and even exceptionally hard
days have more good in them than not.
We are finding more effective ways to function within the
chaos. Kai started baseball and baseball season started all around. The way Kai lives in baseball mode is so cute.
Except I have to come up with a different word- he says it’s not cute. He takes
it so seriously. He came up with this idea to wear his baseball pants
backwards. He likes the pocket right in front, where he stores his very serious
stash of gum. Kai's had his best friend over for a sleepover- which was so much fun. We've gone to the beach a few times. Kaitlyn's good moments have included her playing the guitar outside, making a sweet book for her doctor, singing to us, reading books, homework and more art than I can count. Every moment is appreciated.
One of the things we do now is to go to the school Kaitlyn
would attend if she were stable enough to- on Wednesdays just for lunch. We
meet with a small group of girls in a classroom. They’ve colored together,
talked, giggled, and carried on like 11 year olds do. It feels like a glimpse
of life the way it should be. We look forward to it every week, although it
doesn’t always work the way we plan. Many days have been rough seizure days and
we’ve missed it. Some days, even when we make it, she’s slept through the
entire period. However, the days that she’s been alert for that time has meant
the world to her. The girls are all so sweet. They love Kaitlyn and for that
sliver of time, life feels like the normal we are grasping for. The girls told
Kaitlyn what a great artist she is; Kaitlyn still talks about that.
Kai: “Do you have a lot of rules at your school? Does your
teacher know you have kids? Does your school know about Kaitlyn?”
These last months of balancing Kaitlyn’s care, Kai’s needs,
going to class, and trying to figure out how to foresee what’s next; all intensified at once this past week.
Kaitlyn developed a fever-which didn’t make sense because she didn’t seem sick
initially. Then her seizures clustered. Then
her motility and stomach issues worsened. The first night of this cycle was the
night before an exam in class. With no sleep- I came to class and took the exam
but then I left to care for Kaitlyn and bring her in. That was the first time I
missed a question on an exam-and I was so bummed out. I had this 100 percent
thing going for me which was a very goofy goal I had been maintaining. In the
days that followed that exam, I spent our nights staying up watching her every
twitch and muscle jerk hoping it wasn’t leading to anything else. I spent all
day trying to figure out how to get the adequate amount of nutrition in her
without hurting her because she didn’t want anything in any tube or anywhere
near her. In class, we were preparing for the final but my head was preparing
for how to help Kaitlyn. I’d make lists next to my notes in class of who I
should call, what I should ask, and how I can help her. If I lower the rate of
the pedialtye- or add half formula to start, do meds slower-or more spread out.
I’d compare what we learned in class to
anything that may help me understand what’s going on with Kaitlyn or how I can
better take care of her. I had 12 skills sheets to memorize for class. I knew
how to functionally do the tasks they were asking, but I had a hard time
memorizing all the words.
Then thankfully, her fever went away slowly. Seizures
stopped clustering as much, and her stomach was slowly allowing formula with
out as much resistance. It wasn’t great yet, but the unmanageable felt closer
to manageable. We made it to Kai’s Open House night, but Kaitlyn’s seizures
took over that day too. We were on our 4th day of no fever- I went
to class and then stayed after to study with some of my classmates. In that
study group, I was starting to feel off. I can’t describe it, but I wanted to
get home and I couldn’t bring myself to repeat a skill sheet anymore that
afternoon. I came home 2 hours early. The nurse watching Kaitlyn said she had
remained sleepy, but fever free. All sounded good- and exactly as I left her
really. I wasn’t sure if I was just feeling the worry about the upcoming final
or just tired, but I felt so uneasy. I kept checking Kaitlyn- she was cool to
the touch, but getting pale. I checked her blood sugar; it was fine. Then she
started shivering and moaning. It wasn’t a seizure at all, it woke her up and
she said she said she was “freezing”. I checked her again and she had a slight
fever, 100.1. She was on TPN, so I checked her blood sugar again. It was still fine.
I called her neurologists office to see what the nurse there thought. I kept
apologizing for calling- thinking I was being paranoid. Just in the time we
talked Kaitlyn got so much worse. The shaking intensified and she looked awful-
color shouldn’t be so hard to describe, but the tone of her skin and lips
wasn’t right. She looked grey. I checked her fever again and it was 101. In
talking to the nurse, we decided I should call EMS because this came out of no
where and Kaitlyn didn’t look stable. I hung up with the nurse and then felt
more worry. Kaitlyn’s shaking was so bad and
none of her symptoms made any sense. I questioned myself on if this was really
a 911 moment. That was the start of my emotions overriding my ability to think
straight. I dialed 911 and was calm for maybe 7 seconds at most. They
transferred me to the medical dispatch & as I was describing Kaitlyn and
why I was calling, she said, “Is this for Kaitlyn?”. That’s when I melted. She
knew us, and a familiar voice helped me let my pretending-to-be-strong guard
down. I cried the rest our conversation and still cried when the paramedic and
emt arrived. I’m so thankful for her, I know I didn’t sound like it, but in
talking to her, I felt better. I don’t know if ironic is the right word. No
word covers this day correctly. The emt was the same emt I went on my
ride-a-long with for school. Ironic because I’m trying to stay the course in
school to better prepare for emergencies, yet handling real emergencies is
hindering that goal. The paramedic was
great with Kaitlyn, and very tolerant of me. I remember some of the ridiculous
things I said out loud, but fortunately, I don’t remember them all or I’d
probably move to France immediately. I remember asking him to promise me she’d
be okay. So he did, carefully. Then I told him I needed 3 people to tell me
that. WHY 3? I have no idea. So he did that too. By the time we got to the ER,
Kaitlyn’s fever was 103. And then almost as quickly as it started, she returned
to ‘normal’. She talked, laughed, told her favorite embarrassing “mama
stories”, DRANK OUT OF A JUICE BOX!, stabilized right there in front of us. I couldn’t
believe it. I don’t understand how a high fever enabled Kaitlyn to feel
thirsty, and she actually asked for a drink, but for the most part, it’s a very
tricky process to convince her to take a sip. Because nothing makes sense about
any of this. It’s not fair, right, reasonable or okay. Feeling helpless leads
to feeling guilty for me. Have I not
offered enough juice boxes? How can I help her better? I don’t know. As they have every time, the ER took great
care of Kaitlyn. The pediatrician who came down to see us was thoughtful, calm,
thorough and great. I, for some reason, was not great, thoughtful or calm. I
wanted to be so excited that she was okay, but I was so worried she wasn’t
going to be okay again. That uneasy feeling wouldn’t go away. We went home and
her temperature went up. I stayed up the entire night with her, making sure we
kept the Advil/Tylenol routine going. Seizures came, but nothing scary enough
to call for help. We made it to morning and went back to see her doctor.
Kaitlyn had a fever of 101 there, but her color was great. She wasn’t
comfortable, but she was responsive and sweet which helped each moment feel
more manageable. Then seizures intensified, although never enough to be an
emergency. Somehow ‘emergency’ is completely re-definable. In my tiny brain,
this would have been an emergency 2 years ago. How is ‘not okay’, in fact;
okay? I made myself sleep for a few hours, but I basically stayed up that night
as well. She had more seizures, stomach issues, that lingering fever.
The next morning, I had my skills final for EMT class. Oh,
crap. I had studied them, but I hadn’t been able to study them much right
before the final. My heart felt like it was in a million pieces and places.
There are a lot of rules for EMT class. Most of them make sense- and even the
ones that don’t individually make any sense seem to serve a purpose overall in
keeping students accountable, humble, prepared and motivated, or scared which
seems to be a prerequisite to motivation lately. Although that day, it seemed
like they served the purpose to scare everyone without the motivation aftermath. Sometimes it’s not the skill we
need to prove, it’s the ability to play the game. This is why I don’t date. I don’t
like games as a means to moving forward. Except that this class, the game is worth it because the end result is completely worth it. The class as a whole isn’t a game at
all, just certain aspects of process felt game-ish in the sense that the skill
or task at hand wasn’t the focus, but how to approach it, was. It’s worth it
because finishing this class would mean
so much to me. It would feel like I accomplished something that helps me as an
individual and as a mother. Staying up all hours of the night with a book to
study and absorb helped lessen the hurt in not understanding what’s going on
with Kaitlyn. Going on ride-alongs as an observer helped me replace memories of
being in that seat as a mom. I feel stronger in my life as a result of being a
part of this class. The whole semester rode on that one day though- the process
of the skills final. If we had skills memorized the way the sheet says, even
though ‘real’ life goes differently, then we make it to the final round of a
multiple choice test. We’re not allowed to have our phones, for obvious reasons
during the testing day. I had the hardest time with that rule because Kaitlyn’s
impending instability was so hard to balance even with the ability to
communicate with the nurse watching her, but felt impossible without that
ability. We sat in one room and waited to be called to sit in another room
where we waited to be called again. No study materials, phones, or anything
other than our uniform and frazzled-but-hopefully-prepared minds. I tried to
blend in and pretend that this test was all I was thinking about. Everyone in
that room was stressed. You could see the tension. We moved from one testing
station to another hoping that our fate at the end of the day was a good one.
The great unspoken, unplanned event was seeing how all of us from different EMT
classes clapped for everyone who ‘passed’ as they exited the room. People I
didn’t know told me, “You got this. Keep smiling.” Lots of hugging, cheering,
and support from strangers-which is what’s gotten me through this entire
process with Kaitlyn as well. The support I have now is not the one I started
out with. And while I’ve struggled with that along way, the process has helped
me establish friendships that I may not have noticed or appreciated without the
rawness of all of this. There’s strength in admitting weakness and there’s a
lot more progress in standing still than I first realized (except in EMT
class).
I went through the skills stations hesitant and vulnerable,
yet hopeful. As I waited for the last skill station, I could feel the end in
sight and couldn’t wait to get to my phone to make sure Kaitlyn was okay. I
also suddenly felt the weight of my potential to fail the exam. I felt so many
things at once, and I wanted to just cry, be weak, fall apart, fall down,
anything besides sit there any more.. Then she called my name to go to the
final skills station. Ironically, the last skill was the easiest skill- the one
I had memorized without effort. Again, ironic isn’t the right word, but I can’t
think of another one.. it was the one skill station I felt I good about before
opening the door. I knew that one before I had confidence in the other skills.
Once I was performing my skills sheet though, I was nervous, fumbling, shaking,
and crumbling inside; all while trying to be a good skills sheet parrot. I hit
my low as I lingered there and even worse as I walked out of that room. I
failed the station. Eventually I passed because they let me fall apart and
repeat that part of the exam (not because I’m special, they let anyone
remediate a skill once). My failing made me feel so inadequate and so wrapped
up in the process there that my real-life perspective was temporarily MIA. Once
I hit the crying phase of falling apart, I have a really hard time finding my
strength or confidence. I cried even as my instructor told me I passed. It was
then that I tried to explain why I failed initially, but none of my words made
sense or even came out in the right order. Way too much crying in front of
people for one week. I cried until I couldn’t see right. I walked into a pole
and tripped over a tiny plant. That actually takes talent. I called my friend once my phone and I were
reunited and I had checked on Kaitlyn. As the best of friends do, my friend
listened to me cry, wale, bawl, say incredibly stupid things and made me feel
like I belonged, was important, smart, and most importantly; that I was okay. I
came home to a sleeping, beautiful, strong, amazing Kaitlyn. She is improving
really, albeit slowly. I cried last night until sleep found me, and even though
I now look like a night gone wrong in a big way, I’m okay which is thankfully
re-definable. I don’t know what this next week will look like or what’s going
on with her, but I’m hopeful we’ll figure it out.
.jpeg)



.jpeg)
.jpeg)

.jpeg)
.jpeg)
.jpeg)
.jpeg)

























I can't tell you how proud I am of you. i love you to the moon.
ReplyDelete