There are moments in this crazy life that we all remember,
both good and bad. The good moments that stay snug in my memory are my comfort
& where I go when I feel overwhelmed. Sometimes those memorable moments that stick
are firsts, and other times- they feel like firsts because I somehow blocked
out the first ones, the second ones, and so on. Kaitlyn’s seizures this week
felt like a nightmare and it felt like the first ones, ever.
I am definitely not the most confident person, nor the most
competent. However; I do usually feel like I manage Kaitlyn’s care to the best
of my ability. Except for in this week. I
failed her this time, for a moment- a cluster of them really. The overwhelming
guilt I feel is ridiculous and I’m annoying the crap out of myself, but I can’t
seem to knock it off. Maybe writing it all out, in a confession will help.
The afternoon of her seizures had started off great really.
Almost too great. She was wide awake, talkative, poetic even. Moments before
the first seizure took her over, she had hugged Kai tight and told him how much
she loved him, that he was “the best brother ever”. She sat with me, talking
about how great her life is and said she wanted to watch Tinkerbell with me. She
got cozy in blankets and I turned away to start her movie. I heard her before I
saw her. The seizure growl is the worst noise- it doesn’t sound human. I see
how some of us describe these as “seizure monsters”. She had slumped over and
was convulsing, making the worst breathing noise. I flipped her over to a
better position and started the timer on my phone. Her lips looked blue and I
panicked inside and out- dreadfully waiting for the seizure to hit a minute
because I knew to get the versed ready if it got to the second minute. When I
changed her position, her lips went from blueish to pale, which seemed
‘better’. She kept seizing. I fumble
when I’m nervous so I draw up the versed at 1 minute, 30 seconds so if it takes
a while, she’s definitely absorbing versed before minute 5. 1 minute feels like
an hour during a seizure and I’m helpless. It’s not about me- but I want to fix
these moments, erase them; moreover- I feel responsible in preventing them and
I completely failed that. I attached the med dispenser to the syringe after
drawing it up and gave her the medicine through her nose and waited more. At
minute 4, the seizure stopped. Right when I felt like it was over- I think I
took my first deep breath- she slumped over and started seizing again. And the
breathing noise took her over again. I kept screaming “Kaitlyn- can you hear me
yet?” And begging everyone & everything, real or not; to make this stop.
Our sweet Kai was also there. He was running back and forth trying not to see
what was happening, but not being able to get away from it either. He was screaming for me to “call 911 now.
Call the ambulance. Make someone get here.” I heard him, but I was trying to convince him
it was okay- the medicine would work any second. Why is it we’re constantly
making things okay that aren’t in fact, okay at all? I pictured the most ridiculous things while
debating calling for help. I had beer on the table that I hadn’t put away yet
because I spilled cranberry sauce in the fridge and didn’t want sticky beer.
Who cares, right? But it bothered me that beer was sitting there, exposed and
not put away. I hadn’t taken a shower. Again, who cares? The house was a mess.
I didn’t have anyone to watch Kai. The firetruck and ambulance arriving would
scare Kai. None of those thoughts are rational when I am in fact, being
rational; but I wasn’t being rational at all. I actually had Kai put beer away.
WTF, right?? I was not thinking clearly and I failed both my kids in that
moment. I did give Kaitlyn the emergency medicine for the second time & the
convulsing part of the seizure finally stopped. Her breathing stayed labored
sounding for a bit, but I don’t know exactly how long that part lasted. I also
videoed (is that even a word??) a tiny segment of the second seizure and some
of the breathing. During the actual seizures, I called 911 three times but
didn’t press send twice, and hung up the third time before it could really ring.
I also called every direct line I have to a real person at Kaiser. Just in that
moment, no one answered. Not because they failed, but because they’re human and
we aren’t all glued to a phone. When the convulsing parts of the seizures were
over and Kaitlyn’s breathing had returned to normal, she was still twitching.
Kai understandably couldn’t handle being in the room anymore. I couldn’t relax
inside at all. I called my friend Carrie who answered her phone and I crumbled.
I have no idea what I said. Not sure how
she understood anything I was saying either, but she helped me find enough
capability to carry on to the next moment. Once I calmed down, or thought I
had, I called Kaiser again and got a hold of one of the nurses we love and when
she asked me if I was okay, I said something ridiculous like, “absolutely not”
and I started melting away crying again, like a big giant baby. I’m not even sure how I talked to her or what
I said. A few things she said stuck with me. She wasn’t saying it in judgment
at all, but she said, “Kaitlyn has seizures.” Clearly I know this, but I felt
like I learned it all over again. She set up a phone appointment with a doctor
too and she went over Kaitlyn’s seizure with me. Still, I went to a dark place
in my head. I didn’t trust my instincts as a mom or as Kaitlyn’s caretaker. Kai
had been so scared and I wasn’t able to comfort him either.
Conversations I’ve had in the last 2 years came back to
torture me- or more truthfully; I started torturing myself all over again. We’ve
only had one neurologist I didn’t like. With all the doctors we’ve had, to only
have one I don’t like is pretty good really. Except her words came back to my
memory like a giant hand smacking me, and not the friendly foam kind. She told
me seizures don’t cause any damage, that
parents just don’t like them and she always said, “if” in front of my
descriptions of Kaitlyn’s seizures. I hold on to her ‘ifs’ like little
destructive lifelines because if seizures weren’t really happening, then by
definition; they wouldn’t effing ever happen.
If this was my interpretation gone haywire, then Kaitlyn is okay. If I was just
being dramatic, then once we fix me, Kaitlyn will be fine. I’m in counseling,
trying to fix me. It sounds ridiculous out loud, but if this could be my fault,
I’d whole heartedly prefer it because I’d knock it off and then Kaitlyn would
be the 12 year old she deserves to be. I remember a giant seizure Kaitlyn had
in the hospital 2 February’s ago. I hate Valentines Day anyway, but I remember
every part of that awful Valentines Day. When her seizure hit, I hid in a tiny
window room crying while the x-ray techs called for help and they all tended to
Kaitlyn. I cried in hallways with people I don’t know. I was a mess because
there was no denying that what I saw, everyone saw too and because I couldn’t
make any of it better. And there illustrates the problem with having video of one
small moment of this big mean seizure- I can’t convince myself it didn’t
happen. My denial and self-torture weirdly helps me carry on. Some people think
I cope well, but I really don’t. I blame myself even though when I say it out
loud, I know it sounds crazy.
The days after her seizures have been tough. She’s still
affected by that day- her motility issues are even worse- she’s sleepier and
she’s so uncomfortable still. She’s not tolerating formula like she had been
the day before those seizures hit. She
bit her tongue and wanted a new one the first few days afterwards. She’s been
confused- the whole week seems lost to her. Words she recognized in books
before that are missing right now, but they’ll come back. She’s also still
fighting another (or a continuation of the same one) tube site infection and
that discomfort has taken over her little body many sleepless nights in a row.
I do know that we’ll get back to where we were- appreciating
every smiling Kaitlyn moment. Kaitlyn will get back to smiling moments and
telling us remarkable truths she observes in each day. Kai is already getting comfortable around her
again. He had a hard time being in a room with her after those seizures. I’ll
do better next time- I really do know that. None of my self blame has anything
to do with anyone being mean now- it’s just me being ridiculous. I know I’ll
knock that off too. The kindest words have been spoken to me, in this week
especially. I’ll listen to them, even if on a delay. Thankfully these moments
that torture are overridden by moments of good, sincerity and love from those
around us. I want to feel more Pollyanna about all this- but for this moment, I’m
just feeling broken.
Oh honey. I don't know you--my spouse works with your sister, but this must be so hard. It's so very, very hard to watch our kids in pain and be unable to do anything to stop it. You sound like a wonderful mother in a tough situation. Your kids love you, and you adore them. Know a stranger is pulling for you & yours. Peace. -marcia
ReplyDeleteMy post didn't go through before! it was short and simple, but you should still know:
ReplyDeleteI love you to pieces. And I'm so sorry all three of you had to go through this awful week.