Hot coffee, music on & the peace of early morning is one
of my favorite places to be in our day. Before the day starts for everyone,
there’s so much unchartered potential. Then reality sets in and our day changes
course over & over. Our reality is different, but it’s not all bad. A
positive side effect of being so affected is the absolute enjoyment of a good
moment.
“Mama. Can you smell the rain coming yet? Let’s open the
window and wait for it.” –Kaitlyn
There are so many beautiful sayings about how to weather a
storm, and I don’t know any of them. However; I am honored & humbled to
witness the beautiful way Kaitlyn anticipates the rain & how she finds it
to be the cure for most things. Just like she embraces daily challenges- she
doesn’t view them as a storm at all; they’re a celebration. Our celebrations aren’t in wrapped presents
& candy- but they’re moments that Kaitlyn writes us songs for saying we
love her, and Kai writes us notes and hides them so we’re surprised throughout
the day. They both pretend they want to listen to Lyle Lovett with me. They
make paper crafts together and tape them, everywhere. One of the best side effects of knowing our
day can change in a second; is the way we embrace the moment we’re in better.
I never saw the beauty in a big strand of grass in an
overgrown lawn before Kaitlyn showed me. We were on our way to get Kai from
school when she noticed this one strand of grass taller than the rest. She
thinks it’s the most beautiful, fantastic lawn success story. “Look how TALL
that one got! It’s such a great flower.” It’s not a flower.. yet if you listen
to Kaitlyn, you’ll be convinced it is too. So now we put strands of grass in
jars and celebrate them.
Kaitlyn & Kai love the footbath contraption we got for
Christmas. Kaitlyn giggles the whole time and Kai pretends he is at a fancy place
that has a footbath. He comes up with a different accent every time he uses it.
One morning- Kaitlyn was wide-awake and all smiles. I had this fancy shower gel
with a golden lid we also got for Christmas and Kaitlyn loves how it smells. So
to upgrade the footbath experience, I came up with the genius plan to add the
fancy shower gel. Bubbles. EVERYWHERE. Erps. I should have seen that coming,
but I didn’t. It really was an upgrade
after all. Our floor was cleaner, and
Kaitlyn was the happiest I’d seen her. She couldn’t stop laughing. At first she
was a little worried something went wrong & then she was ecstatic about all
that was right.
Baseball season is finally here again. Watching Kai play
baseball is such a refreshingly fun event. He takes it so seriously, and he
keeps his eye on so much. I love the moment he sees me & he doesn’t think
anyone is looking- I get the best Kai smiles then. He tolerates all my uniform purchasing fails.
Wrong socks, wrong color belt, etc. We seem to get it ironed out eventually. His
first year of T-ball I lost the plastic cup in the laundry black hole &
tried all the knockoff Tupperware we had. He was a bit square the first game,
but we thankfully haven’t had that uniform failure since. Last year, he was
really into wearing his pants backwards because he liked having his gum in his
front pocket. I also can’t wait for nights watching baseball on TV with Kai, even
though we never root for the same team. I always hope the Giants win, and Kai
is all Yankees & anyone but the Giants.
Kaitlyn joins in when she’s awake & usually picks the Giants unless
Kai did something very sweet while they were minecrafting earlier or he somehow
bribed her. I love how Kaitlyn thinks
it’s all so hilarious.
“I think your ultimate day would be firemen singing Lyle
Lovett songs and making you coffee.” –Kai
“I just love wishing on stars. Or even planets. Anything
that’s so glowy probably can handle a wish or two.” -Kaitlyn
There are all kinds of side effects- ones we have seen with Kaitlyn
have been the scariest in our experience. Medicinal side effects can be
temporary- we can stop medications when the toll it takes on her outweighs any
benefit. The toll this all takes on us as a little family doesn’t seem very
temporary and we’re still trying to find our way. Thankfully though, the
benefits aren’t temporary at all. This perspective we collectively and individually
have; it’s a part of us now. I don’t wish this kind of worry on anyone- but
realizing what’s important in a day is instrumental in our appreciation of what’s
good and right in our moments. For that, I’m incredibly thankful every day.
So grateful for you and for these moments of appreciation. Love you so much, glad I got to see you and Miss Kaitlyn today!
ReplyDelete