This morning I was looking for pants in a pile of clean
laundry on my floor. Initially, I had put the clothes on my bed to inspire me
to fold before climbing into bed. Fail. I threw those clothes on the floor at
1:30am after replacing the battery in Kaitlyn’s feeding pump. Back to the
pants. I found some and tried to put them on but for some reason I didn’t
really look at them. Leg avoidance. I don’t want to see them, plus they’re
blinding. Ohhh Myyyyy. WHYYYYY ohhhh whyyyy don’t these fit? I totally ate kale
last week. Twice. I couldn’t get them over even one knee. Finally I looked down
and saw I had Kai’s pants. Erps. “I’m so sorry”, I said to pants. Out loud.
That was apparently my last straw today. (Side note- I don’t think I have that
saying right- & Kai’s constantly asking me if I have extra straws before he
tells me bad news). I just apologized to pants. I am constantly apologizing.
But to pants?! Enough. Now that I have my big kid pants on, I have more to say
& I will try and delete all apologies.
Sometimes people don’t know what to say when they see us,
especially if Kaitlyn’s asleep. I totally get that and I’m not offended in the
slightest. I can also relate. I say things out loud that are awkward for
everyone. I’ve heard repeatedly; “I wish
I had a stroller like that. I’m so jealous”, “I hope she pushes you when she
wakes up”, “WOW”, “oh. Dear. What a great stroller”, “I bet she’s tired”, “she
needs a hat and Jesus”, and many more. None of those are offensive, in fact a
lot of it is correct; but I don’t always know what to say either. Sometimes
when I’m out of responses, I just laugh, cry, walk away, or I make a bad joke
about needing beer or coffee. And sometimes, like this past week-after the
accumulation of many weeks, and months which have turned into the past few
years; what was and is said IS offensive and I can’t find a rational way to
absorb it or justify what is in front of me.
Kaitlyn receives home nursing services through a company who
employs home nurses (how’s that for politically correct?). One day a week- I
get nursing help. The system has always been a challenging one. The company
hires nurses, but doesn’t pay them very much. The reason for that can probably
be blamed on our system as a whole. However, nurses deserve to be paid an
adequate amount. The company goes through nurses very quickly. Many times over
again nurses are hired, ‘orient’ here and quit before they even start because
they found a better paying job at a hospital or a facility where they would
rather work. Some of the nurses they’ve hired have been unsafe choices really.
They no longer watch Kaitlyn- but I am very protective and hesitant to start
anew with this company when they tell me how great a potential nurse is. The last
time I was told the potential nurse had read Kaitlyn’s chart and was excited to
meet us, it turned out the ‘chart’ the nurse had read was 2 years old, which
was before Kaitlyn had a central line. And the nurse didn’t know that Kaitlyn
had a central line when I met her. That’s an important piece of information missing.
The one nurse who does come is incredible. She’s compassionate, thorough, skilled,
reliable; and Kaitlyn, Kai, & I absolutely adore her. None of my complaints
about this company and process are about the one individual nurse who does help
with Kaitlyn. The company itself though hasn’t listened to my concerns,
continues to be incredibly rude and their story and explanations keep changing.
I want to understand their perspective
but I’m running out of ways to convince myself they’re doing things with good
intentions and honesty.
I do understand that they’re a business. They need to
make money. In a letter from this company written at the beginning of this year
to inform families of changes to the health care system, they wrote
specifically, “we make no money at all in taking Medi-Cal”. The letter went on
to praise themselves for a job well done and to express frustration with how
they have to manage the unfortunate system with Medi-Cal clients. This letter
wasn’t sent to just me. It was a letter sent to all families of clients of
their agency. I think this is where some of the frustrations sit for all of us.
I feel defensive because while Kaitlyn does have Medi-Cal as a supplemental
insurance, she has regular Kaiser insurance as well. More importantly, regardless
of how a child is insured- the treatment of them as a patient and their
families as caregivers should be the best that it can be. As much as I want to
think all things in health care relative to children especially- are done with
compassion, grace, and enthusiasm for the child’s best interest; that’s not
always so. This is not a problem exclusive to this company alone-our county, or
even our state. I’ve talked to many parents who have experienced the same
frustrations with this company specifically, in other counties in our state,
& out of state. I can’t speak for them, but the conversations I’ve had in
the last few years have been incredibly validating- but overwhelmingly sad and
frustrating.
This is uncomfortable to talk about. So why am I? Partly
because I just apologized to a pair of pants, and I feel it’s important to
start this conversation. I don’t count less because I make less. Socially, I
need to remember that. Kaitlyn doesn’t
count less because she has a Medi-Cal insurance card. Home care is incredibly
important. Caregivers sacrifice a lot and work incredibly hard; and yet
socially, we aren’t always treated like we count as much as we should.
Companies who employ nurses and other medical caregivers to provide support to
families like mine should do so without any undertones of being defensive which
comes across as dishonesty and without frustrations with us for just merely
existing. Not all people who benefit from Medi-Cal are trying to take advantage
of systems, taxpayers, and the entire world. In contrast to how I’ve been
treated by this company, Kaitlyn’s Kaiser providers never mention Medi-Cal. They mention our names as people. They
treat me like I am a part of the team, not apart from it. After this week especially, I want to go hug
everyone at Kaiser and thank them for always treating us so well. I hope I
thank them enough.
I see some of the facebook conversations insulting anyone on
a ‘system’ and some of them are so disheartening, I just sit there and cry. I
always want to apologize. I do apologize. Constantly. And that needs to stop. I
am not lazy. I do not take advantage of anyone. I have felt guilty for eating
because I didn’t know who to thank when a Safeway card anonymously showed up in
my mailbox. We are not on food stamps, but if we were; that would be another
thing I would feel horrible about. A friend once told me how frustrated she was
because a food stamp recipient ahead of her in line had bought fancy cheese
with food stamps. When did we find it okay to judge people for what kind of
cheese they buy? That conversation was years ago but it’s stuck in my memory
anyway. I know there are people who take advantage of systems. However, there
are also many people who don’t. Friends
have told me, “we don’t mean you”. I so want to take comfort in that because
it’s incredibly uncomfortable to confront any of this- but it is me. This is my
daughter. And this is our Kaitlyn. The words we choose to say out loud to each
other count.
Why is this week especially tough? The company wanted us to
meet a new potential nurse. Given how that went last time, I was nervous and so
I replied with my hesitations. They then said their policy is to send the new
nurse out when the current nurse is there- that I wouldn’t be able to meet the
nurse beforehand. I was told I could be “in the background”. Uhmmmmmm. No. I am
not in the background. And I am not comfortable with a new nurse starting on
the one day I have help and had planned to actually leave my house. In previous
nursing encounters, I’ve always been able to meet a potential nurse first. I’ve
always signed a time card for those meetings, termed; “orientations”. But now
that story is changing and I won’t exhaust you with every pesky detail. My
stomach has been in knots all week. I can’t sleep well, even when I get the
opportunity in between Kaitlyn’s feeding and medication schedule. I’ve cried a
lot, written out my concerns and I’ve found my own accountability in speaking
up better. I didn’t let what was so unfair take over; I did let it all affect
me. Seeee… not apologizing for that. I
made phone calls, wrote letters and researched.
Every day, repeatedly; I review our day in moments and criticize
it in parts; wondering what I could have done better to help Kaitlyn and Kai.
Was I exactly on time? Did I call the right people if it was warranted? Did I
watch Kaitlyn enough? Did I interpret her movements, reactions and pain
correctly? Did I give Kai enough attention? Did Kai get to baseball? Did I
return phone calls? Emails? Did I contribute enough? Did we enjoy the moments
to the best of our ability? Did I thank people for what they do for us?
I can’t fix our system. I can’t fix very much. However, I
can use my voice. I can speak up. No matter how much I want to blend in and not
make a fuss, I count. I am here, caring for Kaitlyn & Kai to the best of my
ability. It shouldn’t take 6 months for
a child to get a wheel chair stroller. Home care should be a priority.
Insurances; well before the Affordable Care Act, have been denying coverage for
a wide variety of incredibly important aspects of healthcare. Medications, if they can help; should be able
to be prescribed by a doctor. Medications, if prescribed by a doctor should be
covered.
Hey pants, I’m not sorry.
You put it perfectly: you are not less. No one is less. I hear those same comments about what people "deserve" to use benefits on, and it makes me furious. Don't ever let anyone diminish the incredible value of and need for how you take care of both of your kids. We have gotten so far away from taking care of each other as members of a community; benefits like food stamps and Medical are the last vestiges of collectively ensuring people have enough (and even those are no guarantee), and I hate that individuals turn to resenting and attacking one another rather than dealing with the problematic systems that keep inequality functioning. You are brave and wonderful and smart.
ReplyDelete