When I joined Search & Rescue (SAR), I had this plan.. the plan was to be on a team, help my community, learn as much as possible, participate fully, and learn how to be in nature and not freak out. Everyone I met, I admired right away. This group of selfless people all joined together is one of the best things in this world to witness. I wasn’t sure I’d fit in, or that they would take me as I was- and the only thing I regret, is ever wondering that. From the moment I was interviewed, I felt at home and completely, indescribably inspired. Sometimes those don’t go together, but in SAR, they do.
My first training was about tracking. I just stumbled on those notes. We got to look for footprints in dirt, noticing angles of light and how that works against and for us, measuring strides, and noticing patterns and grooves in shoe prints. It was challenging, but so much fun. Everyone works together, laughing all along the way. Tracking involves looking and seeing from an entire different light, perspective and a new way of focusing. As does parenting, and reacting to life’s huge changes to which we are in no control of.
Balancing life as a single mom isn’t always the easiest, but it’s worth every second. The night before the second training one member called me. “Do you want to bring your kids? They can be victims.” I had childcare that day, but canceled it. That was the start of SAR for the kids, they got to be involved and I felt so completely honored to experience a day like that with them. That entire day is a cluster of memories that I’ll never forget and will always appreciate. Kaitlyn was all smiles, Kai was carried around in a stokes basket and had fake injuries adhered to his arm. The moment he saw the sheriff helicopter take off changed him. His eyes got big, he was completely focused, in love with life, in awe.. and completely inspired. This is one of many effects SAR and Kaitlyn have in common.
As Kaitlyn’s health declined, SAR never gave up on me. The opposite happened. They lifted us up and took care of us. After one hospital stay last year, we came home to a sheriff’s hat for Kai and a stuffed bear on the front steps. Kai wore that hat every day until it feathered to nearly shreds. This year as hospital visits clustered and I started to miss trainings and meetings, they rallied around us and started fundraisers, established a trust fund, brought Kai on adventures, came to see Kaitlyn and showed us what family is all about. SAR will tell you from the start, “family first”. It’s part of training and knowing when to go to a search, and when not to. SAR family is like no other. I don’t even know the magnitude of their help, because they won’t say it… they just do it. And when I get stubborn and say I’m ok, someone says “we’re here, and you’re not alone”.
When we were in Oakland, and my heart felt torn in a thousand different directions, a SAR member who is a pilot, rented a plane with another SAR member and brought Kai to see Kaitlyn & I. ON A PLANE. Seeing Kai walk down the hall of the hospital with them, made everything ok. His expression was full of love and adventure. We all got through the rest of that experience because of the help and incredible efforts given to us.
People ask me, “How do you do this?”. I never have an answer that makes sense.. but I know I do this because I have the support of this community, of my SAR family, my family and friends. We are in this together and loving Kaitlyn is easy.




Yes. And you are easy to love!
ReplyDeleteSending love to the Ks and you! xoxoxoxo!
An extraordinary post. Thank you. As always, the beautiful expression of Truth reaches far beyond the circle of the writer and into the hearts of others.
ReplyDeleteSo glad you have the SAR family, your own family and friends to support you through this difficult time.
ReplyDeleteHugs and love from a good friend of your mom's.
x0x0x0 N2