Monday, May 28, 2012

It takes a village..and we are sooo thankful


The endless support, calls, emails, messages, check ins, smiles, hugs, and the security in knowing we aren’t anywhere near alone- it’s amazing. Amazing doesn’t describe it right. I still haven’t been able to articulate this because my heart gets stuck and tangled in my head and I can’t form any words, let alone the right ones. These last few months had potential to be overwhelming and near unbearable, but we made it. And we are stronger because of the love shown for us. Community is amazing. I had no idea what community truly meant until these experiences clustered. What a great predicament it is to have a list too long to complete because of how enormous it truly is. 

It's impossible to list all the good examples of this, but here are a few:

Driving through Windsor, passing Pohley’s Market in February, there were hearts for Kaitlyn which covered the entire window. For St. Patricks Day, clovers.. all in support of our Kaitlyn. That visual on trips home from SF, home from Santa Rosa, or just heading home from anywhere, it made every sad thought go away. I’d take a break from feeling the enormity of how hard this can be, and feel the enormity of how much support we have instead.

An amazing group of supportive people, some of whom initially, I hardly knew- held a fundraiser for Kaitlyn in April. They planned it together for many months, selflessly. They just did it, and I have no idea how. I can’t wrap my head around it still. The effort that had to have taken is beyond me. Seeing the love and incredible effort for Kaitlyn gives me strength each day. 

Another group “Men R Pigs” picked Kaitlyn for their annual golf charity event. I don’t know anything about it really (or about men, pigs, or even golf)- they just did it, they gave in love and support of our Kaitlyn. I don’t know exactly how they learned about her or picked her, but I know it has to do with the love and support that never ends in this community. 

My sister, who is a dispatcher in Portland sent me a video her many coworkers put together. Each person held a Mother’s Day sign. What a complete honor that was.  They have all reached out, and they don’t’ know us. Yet they do know us now. We are all in this crazy and beautifully clustered life together. People just do. They do more than we could ever imagine, predict or even articulate. There truly is more good in this than bad. When asked how that is true recently, I couldn’t think of the right words. But that’s just it, there aren’t words. Just look around. 

2 comments:

  1. This is wonderful news. You are all so worthy of such a loving community. May these many blessings continue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The community is, has been and continues to be, remarkable.

    As are you, Liz.

    ReplyDelete